Summer Programme in Biology:
Research at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf, Germany
Short-term Research Program for Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics and Computational Biology undergraduate students
approx. 10 weeks
November 23 2020 - February 12 2021 (Note: there will be two weeks of Christmas holidays between 23 December and 5 January)
Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf, Germany
Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf is one of the younger higher education institutions in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia – founded in 1965. Today around 30,000 students study at a modern campus under conditions ideally suited to academic life.
The state capital of North-Rhine Westphalia is one of Germany’s strongest economic regions and is also outstandingly successful with regard to international ties. Düsseldorf provides a particularly pleasant environment – with both Rhenish warmth and urbane opportunities for education and leisure.
Düsseldorf’s “scene” comprising the Art Academy, University of Applied Sciences, Academy of Music and municipal cultural institutions, all of which are closely linked to our campus culture, and are significant for the surrounding region too.
Undergraduate (B.Sc.); Postgraduates may be considered in some instances- please contact Prof. Martha Ludwig to determine if you are eligible
Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Computational Biology
Please see here
for further information.
A mentored research project in a research group at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf
During the research experience, the UWA student researchers will
- Apply and further develop their bench laboratory skills
- Complete a research project that contributes towards their scientific interests and goals
- Report findings useful to the ongoing investigations of the host laboratory
- Communicate and interact as a member of a German research team
The research experience will be complemented by exposure and immersion in the German culture, in part through the social contacts that will occur within the host laboratories. In addition, many opportunities for travel and exploration of Germany / Europe will be available on the weekends.
12 UWA credit points for an individual research project
- Tuition for 12 UWA credit points (paid to UWA)
- Programme fee (approximately 315 EUR); Programme fee includes HHU enrolment fee, and a student ID that serves as a ticket for public transportation in the whole state North-Rhine Westphalia and offers other benefits (discount at museums and other cultural events, sport clubs, etc.)
- Rent: approx. 320 EUR per month (4 months Nov - Feb) plus internet which is approx.10 EUR per month
Other costs that must be covered by the students: meals, return travel Perth to Germany, travel outside of the student-travel zone of Nordrhein-Westfalen, books, entertainment and spending money. Visa costs (if applicable, not applicable for Australian citizens for a stay up to 90 days; arrival/departure dates can be arranged accordingly)
Students need to have
Application process and deadlines:
Deadline: Thursday 28 May 2020
Click 'Apply Now' below!
*For all enquiries about the programme please contact Prof. Martha Ludwig, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completed 4 semesters of study at UWA
- Good academic standing
- At least basic lab experience
- two referee reports that comment on the students' ability in their class and to undertake research (these need to be submitted to Prof. Martha Ludwig)